Mill Pond at Stonehouse is located in the middle of the Virginia Peninsula and is 1.5 miles from Interstate 64, giving convenient access to all that the area has to offer. Approximate driving times to surrounding cities, medical facilities, schools and shopping. Mill Pond at Stonehouse is made up of eleven neighborhoods each with its own unique characteristics. From single-family homes on lots that range in size from ¼ to 2 acres, to Golf Villas and Cottages, there is a home or home site that meets the needs of any home buyer.
Mill Pond at Stonehouse is a busy place! The residents are involved in many activities both inside and outside of the community. The Social Activities Committee plans events throughout the year for Stonehouse residents. Activities vary from casual picnics by the pool to fun and games at the annual Fall Festival. Consideration is always given to our younger residents when events are planned for the community. There are also numerous clubs and groups that allow residents to pursue almost any interest.
A Community Garden for growing your own flowers and vegetables.
There are tennis courts
A soccer field
A picnic pavilion
A dock at Mill Pond Park for boating
Tradition Golf Club in which membership is available for residents but not required. A paved three mile path that runs from the entrance of Stonehouse to Mill Pond Park provides a safe place for walking or jogging. A viewing point overlooking the pond. The Tradition Golf Club at Stonehouse meanders throughout the Mill Pond at Stonehouse community. The Stonehouse course winds over 6,962 yards of steep forested hills, wide plateaus, and abrupt ravines. Against this tumultuous backdrop, the danger of deep bunkers and long carries is balanced by the relative safety of broad fairways and enormous putting greens. When it opened in 1996 it was named “Best New Upscale Public Course in the Nation” and one of the “Top Ten You Can Play” by Golf Magazine. As you would expect, Stonehouse has such conveniences as a full-service bar, dining area, practice facilities, and a pro shop. The Tradition Golf Club at Stonehouse is part of an excellent three-course membership program offered by Traditional Golf Properties. The other courses are The Tradition Golf Club at Royal New Kent and the Tradition Golf Club at Brickshire. All members of the club will enjoy the following benefits designed to enhance their golf experience; Unlimited greens fees at Stonehouse, Royal New Kent and Brickshire; Special “Members Only Events”; 30-day advanced tee time booking; Discounted cart fees; Complimentary range balls; Club charging privileges ;No annual assessments ; No minimum food & beverage requirements.
History of Stonehouse
A Historic Community The history of Mill Pond at Stonehouse and the surrounding area is closely tied to the history of Virginia and the development of the American Colonies. At the arrival of the first successful English Colony at Jamestown and the first English Settlers in the year 1607, the southeastern area of what is now Virginia was one of mixed hardwood and pine forests, and the river systems of the Elizabeth, James, York, Rappahannock, Pamunkey, and Mattaponi, all supported by expansive estuaries and wetlands, and all flowing into the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. The original inhabitants were the tribes of Native Americans who were hunters, farmers, and fishermen and who lived off of the abundant resources of animals, fish, shellfish, and building materials that were natural to the area. The area had remained unchanged for 100’s of years up to the year of colonization when the life of the Native Americans and the settlers began to commingle. Initially the English settlers and the Native Americans lived in general harmony, but as the colonist began to expand their farming and hunting areas, tensions began to develop due to the harvesting of natural resources, including game and land. There are several theories about the stone structure from which the area of Stonehouse took its name. During one of the periods when the colonists were concerned about the survival of the colony due to threats by both the Native Americans and Spanish Raiders, it is reported that John Smith wanted a point of refuge, assuming the possible complete destruction of the Jamestown Site. He wanted this refuge or fortress to be in an area that was difficult to reach and also to locate. The point he chose was a high promontory approximately five miles from the York River in a densely wooded area on a tributary of the York River now known as Ware Creek. On this 100- foot high promontory it is reported that he built a 19’ by 15’ miniature fort or what came to be known as the “Stone House” for protection. The fort had gun slits for windows, a chimney, and a basement for storage of provisions. Other stories have Blackbeard the Pirate as the builder of the Stone House to hide treasure, however it is reported that Blackbeard the Pirate did not visit this area of the Chesapeake until around 1717 and no records can be found where he raided or visited this area of the York River. Recently an updated review of the history of the Stone House was presented by the Virginia Archaeological Services of Williamsburg, Virginia. The report indicated that the Stone House was most likely built between 1675 and 1677 during Bacon’s Rebellion when Nathaniel Bacon and his followers launched a guerrilla war against then Governor William Berkeley. The structure still exists and is now on private property on the promontory of Ware Creek and is a Registered National Historic Site. The walls and chimney remain, but are now in advanced stages of decay and generally covered in undergrowth and organic debris. In order to determine the real history of the site, a full excavation and archeological study of the location will be required. There are numerous links in historical notes of the site to John Smith, but recent historians have advised that the location of the Stone House mentioned in those publications is more likely a stone house on Grays Creek in Surry, County. While there is a Stone House in Surry County, there is still pervasive evidence in written commentaries and histories that the Stonehouse mentioned in the John Smith History Profiles is the location on Ware Creek. Over the years the area of “ Stonehouse” has been associated with the northwestern section of James City County. The Mill Pond at Stonehouse community has continued that history and is named with reference to the history of this area. Reference material: James City County: Keystone of the Commonwealth by Martha W. McCartney (1997).